One of the things I enjoy the most about running a tabletop RPG is the virtually endless inspiration it provides to fuel other creative pursuits. The Catch-22 being that running a game is also a major time commitment, which severely cuts down on the time available to act on said inspiration. Nevertheless, I still occasionally find time to work on some of the stem projects, which are inspired by, but admittedly not completely necessary to the successful operation of the game itself.
- long been fascinated by maps and worldbuilding
- been recently thwarted by my attempts to craft a truly satisfying world map for my game
Well, to quote a certain spitoon-wearing martian, I decided to go "back to the drawing board" last night. My previous post had inspired me to crack open the old open-source electronic drawing machine and take another pass at a map for my game setting.
The big problem I had with my previous iteration of this map was the way the mountains appeared to hover over the lowlands without properly blending. This happened because the tutorial I was working from was designed to be used by someone who didn't know where they wanted their mountains to go. In my first version, after rendering the mountains, I cut and pasted them into position. This is what caused the ghosting effect.
This time, I modified the technique slightly and instead of cutting and pasting the mountains after they were rendered, I cut, pasted and lightened the cloud layer -the digital ether from which the mountains were digitally conjured- prior to rendering them. I feel the result is much more organic. Mountain, WIN!
Now, I have identified the next problem. Trees. I used a separate tutorial to create the forests peppered throughout the countryside. While they look "okay" my tiger-ego is making dissatisfied grumbles about the abrupt edges to the forests. It looks as though the land is infested with boogers. So, tonight I will continue to chip away in an effort to conjure a more perfect forest.
As I was adding links to this post, I noticed that the guy who made the forest tutorial addresses the issue in a forum thread. I was working off of a pdf originally.
Anyway, this map project is part of a larger effort to establish my own visual "style" when it comes to the presentation of my game. I hope to discuss other aspects of the project in future posts... stay tuned.