|Check out the other stuff at SILLOF. Very cool!|
Call them mash-ups, cross-overs, or whatever you like (just don't call them a comeback) I love genre bending and borrowing/stealing inspiration from sources otherwise unrelated to my particular ouvre.
This post will hopefully be the first of a series of interactive brainstorms which will work thusly:
- I present a theme for the week's mash-up and a couple examples.
- You all continue to riff on the theme, coming up with your own ideas and adding them to the comments section.
- Profit (by which I mean, the post gets archived for later access).
The idea is to build a collection of readymade characters, locations or other ideas that anyone can access if he/she/it's stuck on a particular project... or if anyone just needs a good laugh.
So, here goes! This week's theme is:
Fantasy characters based on bands and/or musicians
- Steely Dan
- A plate-clad mercenary who uses his trade as a way to travel the world looking for his lost love.
- Gordon Lightfoot
- Halfling rogue. Earned a nasty reputation for single-handedly sinking a ship carrying valuable ores for the royal armories.
- Burrell McHammer
- Dwarven Paladin tasked with guarding a mysterious treasure to which access is strictly forbidden.
- Björk Guðmundsdóttir
- Elven druid from the northlands who can shape-shift into a swan.
Okay, your turn! If folks get into this, I'll keep the Monday Mash-ups going with new themes in the weeks to come!