|Green squad goblins|
I'm hitting a point in my mini painting where I'm getting a bit frustrated that my skill is not matching where I want to be. I know that part of the problem is my tools. I have excellent paints, and a few decent, if a bit worn out Citadel brand brushes. However, I don't have a good drybrush, and my detail brushes are really crappy ones I picked up at Michael's or some-such place. I think it is time that I bit the bullet and picked up some decent brushes from the artist's supply store.
With this particular painting effort, I really focused in on highlighting, which is an area where I've struggled in the past. I feel like I did a good job with the goblins' faces, musculature and cloth elements in that regard. I think I need to work on my washes next. I still rush it a little, and tend to just use a single black-brown mix for everything. I'm fairly certain that is why my minis take on a "muddy" coloration when viewed in person.
Still, I have to remind myself that these goblins were some of the least carefully sculpted models in the Kickstarter offering. They came three to a sprue and are small creatures to boot. Looking at the bright side, I should be glad I managed to make them something worth putting out on the table.
|The harlot from the townfolk pack. I named her Esmerelda. I also got the second candelabra painted!|